Opening Question: What do you think makes people popular in today’s society?
Question: If Jesus were alive today, do you think He’d be popular? Why?
– Jesus begins His ministry of preaching and teaching right here in Galilee.
– At this point, there wasn’t a whole lot of people who knew Him.
Question: Does it sound like He was a popular guy here?
Question: Who are some popular people that are alive today?
Question: What would you do if you were that popular — where everyone knew you and liked you?
Question: Do you think Jesus’ message was positive or negative?
Question: What are some popular things that are preached in religion today?
– We have to remember that Jesus was in His own hometown.
– He reminds people that Elijah was not accepted in his own hometown either, but went outside to people that were not Jews.
– Jesus was telling them that they were going to end up rejecting His message — and Him.
Question: Does it sound like Jesus’ preaching was very popular here?
Question: What are some unpopular things that are taught today in religion?
Question: Is it possible to be a popular Christian?
Challenge: Popularity is not wrong by itself. Even Jesus was popular for a time. However, Jesus’ teachings are very unpopular, and most people do not accept them. We have to choose to stand up for what Jesus teaches, regardless of how popular or unpopular it is!