Opening Question: If you could use one word to describe Satan, what would it be?
– Satan is usually depicted in society as a red, two-horned monster with a pitchfork.
– The Bible’s description of Satan is actually much different.
II Corinthians 11:12-15
– Paul is talking about some of the people that were pretending to be Apostles in the church, and trying to hurt the church.
– He says that these apostles who are masquerading is to be expected since Satan also masquerades as an angel of light.
Question: When you think of an “angel of light”, what do you think of? (Touched by an angel, halos, church music, etc…)
Question: Have you ever pretended to be something your not? If so, what?
Question: What are some things that you think Satan can pretend to be? (Happiness, fun, security, etc…)
Question: Why do you think Satan would want to pretend to be an angel of light?
II Thessalonians 2:9-11
– Paul is once again warning against Satan.
– This time, he elaborates a little more on how Satan works.
Question: What are some things one would use to deceive people? (Make up, disguises, masks, wigs, etc…)
Question: What are some of the things that the Bible says that Satan uses? (Displays of power, signs, wonders, all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing.)
Question: How do you think you can keep yourself from becoming deceived by Satan?
Challenge: We can’t trust people, our experiences, our feelings, etc… Satan could be using these things to deceive us. The only thing we can trust is the Bible. Study the Bible so that you can know the truth!