Opening Question: What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever run away from?
– God comes to Jonah: “Preach in Nineveh.”
– Nineveh was the capital city of Assyria, which was Israel’s biggest enemy.
– “He ran away from the Lord and fled to Tarshish.”
Question: What are some things that Jonah may have been thinking as he was running away from God?
– Tarshish was in the complete opposite direction as Nineveh.
– Tarshish was also on the coast. It was as far as Jonah could get away from Nineveh.
Question: What are some things that people do today to rebel against God?
Question: How do you think rebellion/running can away effect people and the people around them?
– The sailors cast lots to find out who was responsible for the storm.
– The lot fell on Jonah. Now they know it’s his fault.
– Meanwhile, Jonah had been sleeping.
Question: What are some things the soldiers tried to do to solve the problem?
Question: What could they have done, besides throwing Jonah overboard?
Question: What are some things people try to do to appease God now instead of just obeying Him?
Question: How do you think this experience would have changed or effected Jonah?
Challenge: We can do a lot of things to run away from the Lord: rebel, sleep, hide, etc… It’s not worth the storm that running away causes. The challenge is to study the Bible so that you know which direction God is calling you to run!