Opening Question: What is one word that people would use to describe you?
– Jesus is eating at a Pharisee’s house.
– A woman went in and stood behind Him, crying, and began to wipe His feet with her tears.
Question: What kind of reputation did this woman have?
Question: What do you think she might have done to get this type of reputation?
– Same story in Mark’s account.
– Jesus is at Simon’s home.
Question: How is Simon described in this scripture?
Question: What do you think it would have been like for him to have leprosy back then?
Fact: Most likely, Luke doesn’t mention that Simon was a leper because Jesus had healed him.
– Going back to Luke’s version of the story.
– Simon is being critical about this woman, even though he was healed by Jesus for something far worse.
Question: What kind of reputation did Jesus have?
Question: How do you think Jesus associating with this “sinful” woman affected His reputation?
Question: Do you think Jesus cared about His reputation?
Challenge: Reputations can be important but they’re not what’s most important. Jesus was more concerned about having a good reputation in God’s eyes. If God would describe you in one word, what would it be?