Opening Question: What is one of your favorite things to eat and drink?
Question: Have you ever been really hungry or thirsty before? What are some of the symptoms of hunger or thirst?
– Jesus is telling a story about a rich man and Lazarus.
– There is some debate as to whether this was a parable or a true story because Jesus uses a proper name: Lazarus.
Question: How do you picture Lazarus?
Question: How do you picture the rich man?
– Both Lazarus and the rich man die.
– Lazarus goes to be with Abraham in paradise and the rich man goes to Hades where he’s in torment.
Question: What do you think caused the rich man to go to Hades? He didn’t seem to do anything wrong.
Question: Do you think God holds us accountable for our inaction?
Question: What are some actions we should be doing?
– The rich man finally comes to grips with his situation.
– Sadly, it’s now too late to do anything about it.
Question: What are some things the rich man would have done differently if he could have gone back in time?
Question: How do you think he felt not being able to change these things?
– The poor man (Lazarus) started off hungry, and couldn’t even get a crumb from the rich man’s table.
– The rich man started off full, but eventually couldn’t even get a drop of water from Lazarus’ hand.
Matthew 5:6 – “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.”
Challenge: I want to challenge you to go after God more than you would go after getting food or water if you were hungry or thirsty because the only thing that’s actually going to leave us satisfied in the end is our relationship with God!