Opening Question: What is something you would do if you had more time?
II Samuel 6:1-8
– David is trying to bring the Ark of the Covenant back into Israel.
– The Ark of the Covenant was a symbol of God’s presence with His people. It was very important to take care of the Ark.
– As they were carrying it, it began to wobble on its’ cart. Uzzah reached out to stabilize it, and God killed him.
Question: Do you think Uzzah’s intentions were bad? Why or why not?
Question: Why would God kill Uzzah if his intentions were good?
– God considered it a sin to not do the good we ought to do.
– This is called “sin of omission”.
Question: What are some things that people often intend on doing, but don’t?
Question: Do you think God cares about our intentions?
I Chronicles 15:11-13
– David is trying to bring the Ark of the Covenant into Israel a second time.
– This time he’s figured out what went wrong the first time.
– He said, “It was because you… did not inquire of [God] about how to do it in the prescribed way.”
Question: What are some things that people get prescriptions for?
Question: What are the consequences of not following those prescriptions?
Challenge: If your intentions aren’t as important as doing things in the prescribed way, how can you be sure that you’re doing things God’s way? You have to read the prescription — the Bible!