Opening Question: What is one of your “pet peeves” with people?
– Jesus is preaching to a crowd right here, and He’s talking about judging people.
– “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.”
Question: What do you think motivates people to judge other people?
Question: What are some common areas that people make judgements about?
Question: Do you think there is a difference between judging and being judgmental? What’s the difference?
– Jesus isn’t saying not to judge completely. (He even tells them, “Not to give to dogs what is sacred or to throw your pearls to pigs.” How can you tell when someone is a “dog” or a “pig.”)
– Jesus is talking about making hypocritical judgments.
Question: What kind of effect do you think hypocrisy has on people?
Question: How can someone stop themselves from being a hypocrite?
– Jesus: “I didn’t come to judge the world, but to save the world.”
– Sounds pretty encouraging.
– But then He says, “There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words.”
Question: If you could be judged my anyone you choose, who would you have judge you? (Jury of 12 peers, grandma, yourself, etc…)
Question: What do you think their/your standard would be?
Question: What is God’s standard? (His Word)
Question: Why do you think more people don’t strive to live by or understand His word?
Challenge: Make a decision to live by God’s word and nothing else. It’s the only fair judgement there is, and it’s the only way for us to make sure we can go to Heaven.